• The worker will play a vital role in increasing access and quality of support for Travellers and New Communities whom need support for substance misuse
• To engage and build trusting relationships with members of the Travelling Community and New Communities who may need support in relation to their substance misuse and to encourage and support their access to substance use services.
• To advocate for service users to ensure their needs are addressed in a cultural and holistic way that addresses the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of individuals
• To assist in identifying current and potential barriers that may affect Traveller or New Community engagement in addiction services.
• To assist and support in the coordination of a range of comprehensive and targeted activities for people from Traveller and New Communities with substance use issues.
• Work with the Coolmine Outreach Worker to explore ways of improving Traveller and New Community peoples’ experience of Addiction services.
• To engage in assertive outreach activity within the target community in partnership with Coolmine’s Outreach Worker and other relevant services where necessary.
• To assist and to contribute to the development of appropriate outreach strategies.
• To provide basic administration support to the outreach team.
• To co-facilitate a number of groups, i.e. information evenings, etc.
• Ability to engage in a respectful way with individuals and groups who may not be in contact with any service.
• Good communication skills.
• Understanding of addiction; understanding of the needs of the Irish Travelling Community and New Communities; Understanding of the particular needs of women who have issues with substance misuse; Understanding of the barriers that may be faced in accessing support.